Hamlet Film Clips
TO BE OR NOT TO BE (3.1)
(Image from Roger Ebert's Film Festival website)
- Kenneth Branagh in his 1996 film.
- Mel Gibson (following the rest of 3.1) in Franco Zeffirelli's 1985 film.
- Ethan Hawke in Michael Almereyda's 2000 film.
- Derek Jacobi in a 1980 production directed by Rodney Bennett.
- Kevin Kline in a 1990 New York Shakespeare Festival production.
- Laurence Olivier from his 1948 film. (For an analysis of Olivier's performance, click here.)
- An actor (Alan Mowbray) recites part of the soliloquy with help from Doc Holliday (Victor Mature) in John Ford's My Darling Clementine (1946).
- A director (Rowan Atkinson) helps Shakespeare (Hugh Laurie) spruce up the "dodgy" original soliloquy in a sketch from Comic Relief.
OPHELIA'S MAD SCENE (4.5)
- Kate Winslett from the Branagh version: part one , part two.
- Mariah Gale in a 2008 Royal Shakespeare Company production: part one, part two.
- Helena Bonham Carter from the Zeffirelli film: part one (begins at 6:58), part two.
- Helen Mirren sings one of Ophelia's mad songs in Celestino Coronado's 1976 avant-garde production (begins at 1:42).
- Laurence Olivier and Olivier Stanley Holloway.
- Kevin Kline and MacIntyre Dixon.
- Kenneth Branagh and Billy Crystal.
- Mel Gibson and Trevor Peacock.